Sunday, April 24, 2005

Living a life that's worth living

For many years now, I have been contemplating what it means to live a life that is worth living. Being "young", I've always wanted to find out the "right" way to live as early as I can, so that I won't waste my life and regret it all at the end of my time here on earth.

Unfortunately, even as a Christian, for a number of years I have lived using worldly standards as a yardstick. There was a time when I thought the Bible was not sufficient to be the ultimate authority in my life. So I turned to countless self-improvement books, personality tests, and a whole bunch of worldly junk. All this while, my Bible was lying around in the corner of the room gathering dust.

How silly I was. And how arrogant and proud I was. And still am.

Thankfully, God has been gracious to lead me back to Him. I now base my life solely on the Bible (or at least, I try to as much as I can). Life is worth living again. Today I can fully attest that the only life worth living is a life that glorifies God alone. I strive everyday to live a life that's worthy of the gospel.

Today, it scares me to see how many people form their life principles based on an eclectic mix of what they read on the Net, or what they see on TV, or what their friends say, or some catchy quote that they read from some book. I say that because I was once like that, and I know how dangerous and how unfulfilling life can be if we base our life on anything else apart from God's Word.

I know that it is very difficult to live according to the Bible. That is because we're still on earth, and we are constantly barraged with worldly wisdom every single day. But worldly wisdom and God's wisdom are like oil and water. To follow God is to deny my own humanity. To follow God is to reduce my pride to shreds, and be humble and follow Him.

The problem is that we are all born sinners. The world always tries to portray humans as though we are all "good", but nothing could be further than the truth -- we are all evil by nature (Romans 3:10-12; 3:23). And that's why we are in need of a Savior who will save us from our sins. He saves us even though we do not deserve it. What a gracious God we have! And I think that living a life that glorifies God -- the One who loved me enough to save me from hell and eternal damnation -- is the least I could ever do for Him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home