Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Snappy day? Dust and ashes?

You might be wondering, what in the world is a "snappy day"? Initially I chose that name for my blog because I was thinking of doing a photo blog, with the intention of posting a new snapshot everyday. So you know -- snapshot, snappy -- hope you get what I mean.

Well that's only the partial reason. A snappy day also means a "nice day". And since Psalm 118:24 tells us that...

"This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."

...therefore every day should be a snappy day.

Lastly, snappy also means pleasantly cold. I happen to like snappy weather, especially autumn and not-so-cold days in winter. And incidentally, this blog was born on a snappy day. It snowed in my city for the first time this winter on January 30, 2005.

So, snappy day has many connotations. As someone who enjoys playing around with words (though this blog may suggest otherwise!), I really like the term snappy day.

Now, why is my blog nickname "dust and ashes"? Because that's exactly what I am. God created us from the dust of the earth (Genesis 2:7), and we will return to dust when we die (Genesis 3:19; Ecclesiastes 3:20). When Abraham was asking God not to destroy Sodom because his nephew Lot was still living there, he described himself as dust and ashes (Genesis 18:27). In the eyes of God, we are all dust and ashes. Lest I become proud and glorify myself instead of God, I want to remind myself constantly about what I truly am -- just bits and pieces of dust and ashes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home